Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Choices

So, I like bikes. The first real bike a had was a Softride. When it broke I took the components that could still be salvaged and built up a GT Edge. While this kept me riding, it was an old frame, with old components, and I wanted something shinier. So I shopped around and bought this. The Rocky Mountain is a really nice frame, and I had it about a month before it got stolen. So I was back on the GT. At this point, rather than just replace the Rocky Mountain, I decided I'd research more. I replaced the fork, crankset, and component group on the GT with a mix of SRAM and Campy parts. I learned that I liked 180mm cranks, and that I liked Campagnolo a lot more than I liked Shimano. In fact I've gotten pretty comfortable on the GT. I think I'm going switch out the fork again (went from Aluminum to CroMo, now I'll try Carbon), to see what difference that makes. Even with all this, I still want a new bike- but what? Here's where the choices start. Do I by a complete bike, or a frame? Given that most new bikes all come with Shimano, it seems that building a frame might be better, unless I want a custom one.

Ah custom. See, I went to a demo event hosted by Bespoke Cycles and Seven Cycles. So I really want an Axiom, but I also really like the Cervelo R3 (even though I haven't ridden one yet), and well about 10 other models look good too. Part of me knows I'd be happy with any of them, and part of me wants to get the perfect one (which means I'll never decide).

Then I went Mountain Bike riding...

So maybe I should be happy with the GT and focus on getting a decent Mountain Bike? Something like this maybe? Even this would be really nice. Ah more choices, if only somebody could make a bike that combined the two...

Oh, you mean like this?

A cyclocross bike, of course.

Hmmm, but what's that saying about compromise? Something about being able to do everything, but none of it well?

I've got some choices to make...

Meanwhile, it's less than 2 weeks til the Truckers return

No comments: