Monday, November 24, 2008

One down, One to go

Last night was night one of the "Rock and Roll Means Well" Tour. Last night had DBT closing things down. From looking at some of the set lists from the tour, I knew they were dusting off some of the songs I hadn't heard live, which had my expectations pretty high.

I'd seen The Hold Steady once before, but it was at the Mezzanine (aka the worst concert venue in SF). So I was glad at the chance to see them in The Fillmore. It was a really fun show, they played for about an hour- which to me was perfect (I'm not sure I want to see them for 2 hours, but we'll see). Their set was crowned by P Hood and Dave Neff joining them for a cover of "Burnin' for You".

Then came the Truckers, they hit the ground running with "Zip City" and never looked back. Kelley Hogan joined them on stage twice- once for "Angels and Fuselage", I have to admit that I never expected to hear that live. It was probably my favorite set of all the Truckers' shows that I've seen. Then came the encore...

More of a Rock and Roll orgy than anything else. The Hold Steady guys came back onstage and they tore through all kinds of stuff: "Aint talking 'bout Love", "Play it All Night Long", "People Who Died", and obviously "Let There Be Rock".

Some good picks over at AAW.

Since last night, they didn't play anything off of "Pizza Deliverance", my hopes are high for tonight... We'll See.

No comments: