Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Moving Right Along

Another weekend back in SF meant more stuff got done on the Jeep. I was able to pick it up Friday from GG Jeep, who has been doing most of the heavy lifting in this process. The rear end was rebuilt and some more adjustments to the carb, timing, etc. have it running pretty good. There is still an issue though with the choke wanting to close at rather odd times, this basically renders the Jeep undrivable until I stop, open the hood, pull the air breather off and put a binder clip on the choke to hold it open while I start it. Once I start it in this manner it seems to behave just fine... Until it gets restarted. My guess is that it's either a bad temp sensor somewhere, or a bad vacuum line.

I'm hoping for a vacuum line, since those are on the list of things to be replaced in the next round of fixes. I dropped it off again at GG Jeep last night, after picking it up from Proline. I had Proline redo the exhaust from the header back. Lot's of leaks are no more, the pipe and the muffler were rusty and had more than a few holes, so we just replaced everything. I still have to deal with a couple tubes dealing with emissions recovery, but that shouldn't be too bad.

I'm getting more used to it, getting more comfortable. It's still not quite as confidence inspiring as I'd like it to be, but it's getting there. The problems it has always seem to be the same, so the same fixes can keep being applied.

The goal now is to have GG Jeep fix the last couple issues by next weekend so I can ship it down to Vegas and have it with me. Then I can work on some of the smaller details- while still having it here to drive around.

Fingers crossed.

No comments: