Sunday, November 8, 2009

More Stuff About Bikes and Music

Yesterday was the first race in the CXSR series. Cross is turning out to be harder than I expected, and I expected it to be hard. I kind of thought it would be a matter of maximizing my strengths and minimizing my weaknesses, but that really hasn't been the case. For starters, when it comes to cross, I don't have any strengths. The parts that I should be able to go fast on, I end up using as recovery so I don't puke in the middle of the race. I feel like I'm improving in some areas, but so far that isn't translating into better results. Granted, results are about the last thing I should be focusing on, but I'm just competitive that way (which isn't as good as being competitive in the traditional way of trying to win). I am having a lot of fun though, and when I stop worrying about how bad I'm doing, I do realize that I have a good time going to the races and meeting people and just hanging out and having some laughs. I can also tell that I'm getting more comfortable on the bike. Especially when I get back on the road bike. I find I'm riding a lot more with no hands, and descending without braking. So at least there is some progress...


Last weekend I saw Lucero at The Mezzanine. Quite simply, Lucero kicks ass! They are always a good show, and this was one of the better ones. So good in fact, that I didn't mind that it was at The Mezzanine. Monday night, on the other hand, was not good. Airborne Toxic Event was not good, not even good enough to stay for the whole show. I'm sure there are a lot of people that would argue that, since many people seemed to be having a good time, but I thought it sucked. Friday night was Dinosaur Jr., someone I've wanted to see for a long time. They were possibly the most awkward band I've ever seen. When they weren't playing, it was like looking at goldfish flopping around on the floor. Luckily the show consisted of a lot of playing, and it was good. They got a little to "jam-bandy" at the end, but it was still a good show.
Tonight will be Jason Isbell at the Great American Music Hall. One of my favorite performers at my favorite venue, I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: